Transportation Management Specialist
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 10/8/2017
END DATE 1/6/2018
JOB DESCRIPTIONGraphic Packaging International, Inc. (NYSE: GPK), headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, is a leading provider of packaging solutions for a wide variety of products to food, beverage and other consumer products companies. The Company is one of the largest producers of folding cartons and holds a leading market position in coated-unbleached kraft and coated-recycled board. The Company's customers include some of the most widely recognized companies in the world.
Our vision -- to provide packaging solutions that improve the world in which we live -- can be achieved by delivering value to our customers, building a high performance culture for our employees, creating superior returns for our shareholders, and being an environmentally responsible leader in our industry and in the communities in which we operate.
Graphic Packaging has approximately 13,500 employees working in more than 50 locations in North and South America, Europe, Australia and Asia. We are committed to workplace diversity and offer compensation and benefit programs that are among the best in the industry to reward the talented people who make our company successful. We invite you to review the following employment opportunity and to learn more about us at www.graphicpkg.com.
The primary mission is to ensure the timely delivery of product based on exception processing of outbound and inbound loads using the corporate Transportation Management System (TMS) for carrier selection (based on cost, service, and level of commitment), accessorial processing, and proactively managing regional shipping area to increase automation and suggest/implement improvements.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES: the following duties / responsibilities are representative of the nature / level of work assigned & are not necessarily all-inclusive
* Adhoc cross train and coordinate with GPI locations' shipping /load planning coordinators, shipping managers, and production schedulers in order to minimize data entry errors within the manufacturing system and in order to meet logistics and production goals.
* Research consistent volume lanes within region, obtain permanent carrier rates on GPI rate addendum, and submit to Sourcing Manager for approval
* Weekly and monthly provide carrier operational info (carrier tender time-outs, tender rejections, etc.) and route guide adds & changes (provide analysis of savings/increase in cost per change requested) to Sourcing Managers
* Manage IB and OB regional shipments by exception, timely accessorial processing, and troubleshoot & resolve shipping issues with internal and external parties. Once exhausted, escalate to Lead
* Track and Trace shipments and provide pre-notifications on shipment status to internal and external customers.
* Actively work to identify and implement short and long-term solutions to match inbound and outbound shipments including researching inbound, 2ndary fiber carriers and evaluate if carrier meets requirements to cover outbound
* Solicit, negotiate, and award spot quoted loads to meet or exceed the Logistics cost/ton by BU goal according to department guidelines, procedures and approval processes.
* Once confirmed, daily escalate carrier accidents and bankruptcy to Leads, Supervisor, Sourcing Managers
* Actively work with contracted carriers on meeting/exceeding operational requirements (service levels, equipment commitments, resolve failures prior to requesting removal, etc.) and strengthen the partnership
* Attend carrier meetings and be prepared to discuss operation items that GPI needs for them to improve on, what they are performing well, etc.
* Weekly escalate BU operational issues to Planner Leads such as mode changes (permanent or short term?), GPI location short lead times, etc.
* Implement and maintain company policy and standard operating procedures to ensure compliance with the USDOT requirements
* Proactively provide suggestions to Planner Leads to improve internal & external processes to automate workload, advance carrier performance, reduce issues to GPI end customers, improve GPI shipping, etc.
* In conjunction with the Logistics Sourcing Managers, Logistics Support, and Logistics Analytics, work with internal and external parties to bring issues to complete resolution
* Maintain continuous contact with transport service providers to understand their daily operations and secure and coordinate uninterrupted transportation services and materials flow to and from North American markets
* Maximize cost reduction and service opportunities through leveraging total corporate volume with truckload, less-than-truckload and intermodal freight carriers.
* Provide assistance on shipping issues to customer service groups, sales and marketing personnel, plant purchasing, and plant shipping personnel
* Provide weekend and evening support as needed based on the rotating schedule
* Actively maintain individual metrics that support individual, dept, and company goals
* Assist with other Transportation Operations related tasks/projects as needed
* Ensure adherence to all relative GPI policies & procedures
* Bachelor's Degree in Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Finance, Accounting, or related field. Equivalent experience considered
* 1-3 years as a Transportation Specialist/Planner utilizing a TMS (MercuryGate preferred) to manage shipments and transportation operations or logistics experience
* Beginner to intermediate proficiency in MS (Microsoft) Excel and Word
* Stable organizational skills, detail oriented, and interpersonal skills
* Strong written & verbal communication skills
* Must be able to prioritize workload and deliver to timelines
* Ability to define problems, to collect data, to establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
* Possess intellectual curiosity and initiative
* Must be creative, resourceful, organized & able to work well independently & as part of a team
* Ability to thrive in a fast-paced operational environment and handle multiple tasks
* Ability to collaborate and communicate with all levels of employees and management.
* Ability to use technology to solve business problems
* Ability to work 11:00AM to 8:00PM to support the west coast
Preferred / Plus
* Experience working with the west cost.
* Beginner to intermediate MS Access, Powerpoint, and Visio skills and intermediate to advanced MS Excel skills
* Analytical skills and Experience with BI / BW or similar reporting tools
* Paper manufacturing industry experience and systems (SAP preferred)
* Integrity & Trust (GPI Core Competency): Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn't misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
* Action Oriented(GPI Core Competency): Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.
* Dealing with Ambiguity: Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn't upset when things are up in the air; doesn't have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
* Priority Setting: Spends time on what's important; quickly zeros in on the critical and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; cr