Underwriting Counsel 9/20/2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY COMPANY SUMMARY
First American Title Insurance Company, the largest subsidiary of First American Financial Corporation (NYSE: FAF), traces its history to 1889. One of the largest title insurers in the nation, the company offers title services through its direct operations and an extensive network of agents throughout the United States and abroad. First American Title provides comprehensive title insurance coverage and professional services for purchases, construction, refinances, or equity loans. The company s thorough searches, title clearance, and insurance help to produce clear property titles and enable the efficient transfer of real estate. First American was named one of FORTUNE's 100 Best Companies to Work For in 2016 and 2017. For more information, visit www.firstam.com
* Provides underwriting support, counsel, and authorization to company personnel, agents, and customer(s), related to the issuance of real estate title insurance commitments and policies.
* Utilizes underwriting standards and guidelines within delegated authority limits, to underwrite the issuance of title insurance.
* Provides guidance to company personnel in the performance of real estate settlement services.
* Issues underwriting standards and guidelines in accordance with established company processes.
* Assignments are general and less complex in nature and instructions are usually detailed.
* Has some latitude for un- reviewed action or decision.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED OR EXTENDED
* Works under general supervision setting own priorities and objectives.
* Ability to independently make decisions up to an authorized amount.
* Requests or issues that are above scope of responsibility and approval limits are referred next level underwriter.
* Generally no supervision of others, however, may supervise administrative personnel. May be responsible for coaching and directing work ofJunior underwriters.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS/TECHNOLOGY USED
* Strong understanding of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of real estate title and settlement process.
* General knowledge of Federal and State regulations related to real estate title insurance and settlement services.
* General understanding of underwriting real estate transactions for the issuance of title insurance policies.
* Ability to collaborate and act decisively.
* Detail oriented.
* Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills.
* Good organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and timely follow up.
* Strong negotiation skills.
* Requires abstract thinking and creative solutions.
* Law Degree required
* Admitted to practice in state of employment.
TYPICAL RANGE OF EXPERIENCE
* 5-7 years title underwriting experience.
* Must be familiar with real estate law.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATION
* Licensed to practice law, in good standing
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
First American invests in its employee s development and well-being, empowers them to provide superior customer service and encourages them to serve the communities where they live and work. First American is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer. For more information about our Company and our dedication to putting People First, check out firstam.com/careers..