Vascular Sonographer I- Cardiovascular Surgery (West) 10/12/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary
The Vascular Sonographer I completes a variety of routine non-invasive vascular sonograms. Provides direct assistance to physicians with all diagnostic / special procedures. Delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to sonography standards and guidelines established by Imaging agencies to ensure optimal patient safety and customer service. The Technologist is a member of the direct patient care team. This job requires availability to be on call.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
* Provides personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
* Focuses on patient/customer safety
* Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
* Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
* Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
* Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 20%
* Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner.
SERVICE - 30%
* Performs non-invasive vascular sonograms. Applies vascular sonography knowledge and skills, including a strong sense of vascular pathology & physiology, to each clinical situation.
* Provides care for the physical needs of patients by executing various sonography concepts to maximize performance. This includes: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired imaging results and recognizes complications / limitations associated with certain procedures. Proactively identifies how to address these for optimum outcomes.
* Provides direct assistance to physicians during diagnostic or special procedures, including assisting with sterile technique.
* Follows imaging and sonography safety standards and conducts all imaging procedures accordingly. Properly utilizes patient protective gear and immobilization during diagnostic procedures. Maintains proper sterile techniques for procedures, regularly practices aseptic techniques, and ensures compliance with infection control procedures. Complies with job, departmental and hospital safety standards, practices and policies.
* Reports near misses and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective actions and improvement activities, and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety.
* Ensures all imaging equipment has had QC performed as required and is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed.
FINANCE - 10%
* Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered.
* Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
* Participates in departmental projects and shared governance activities.
* Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Technologist.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below
0 years, with one year experience as a Sonographer highly preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
* Vascular Registry required by the end of the month following 18 months of hire/transfer date. Registry options include: ARRT (VS), CCI (RVS) or ARDMS (RVT); ARDMS (RVT) highly preferred
* American Heart Association BLS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
To perform the Essential Functions of the Job
* Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills and competency assessments
* Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Radiology Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents
* Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
* Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving
* Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
* Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
* Demonstrates a high level of clinical synthesis, capable of correlating the patient presentation with the clinical attributes of the disease process being evaluated and the image formation necessary to create a well formulated preliminary report
* Includes office, patient care units, and invasive procedure areas
* May include exposure to hazardous chemicals, blood borne pathogens
* Adherence to universal precautions is required
* Extended periods of standing and walking are required
* Able to flex hours and work other shifts to meet needs related to unanticipated acuity; meet operational needs
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group - As one of the nation s leading hospitals and academic medical centers Houston Methodist has brought together some of the nation s leading experts in multiple specialties to serve our patients. As part of Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group (HMSPG), these specialists not only provide excellent clinical care, but are on the forefront of research, developing leading-edge technologies and treatments, and teaching the medical pioneers of tomorrow. This combination of clinical service, research and academics ensures patients have access to the latest in treatments and