Vascular Sonographer I
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 10/10/2017
END DATE 12/13/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
The Vascular Technologist I is a new graduate from an accredited ultrasound school specializing in vascular ultrasound or an ultrasound sonographer with minimal vascular ultrasound specialty skills. They possess fundamental knowledge and basic imaging skills to perform non-invasive vascular procedures. The Vascular Technologist I is not registered in vascular technology but maybe eligible to take the RVT (Registered Vascular Technologist) certification exam from the ARDMS within 2 years of employment.
The Vascular Technologist I must demonstrate the behaviors similar to the RVT in the dept or a Staff Nurse I at the Novice level. The Vascular Technologist I demonstrates strong customer service skills in concert with The Methodist Hospital values of Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence in addition to ServicePride standards.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Demonstrates compe10ce in the clinical skills required for patient care.
2. Performs non-invasive vascular testing independently involving the carotid, arterial, and venous systems.
3. Provides the requesting physician with preliminary findings based on diagnostic criteria established for each non-invasive vascular procedure.
4. Rotates weekend responsibilities in a professional and accountable fashion.
5. Present case presentations at weekly vascular conference with Medical Directors, Vascular surgery service, department staff, and students and others in at10dance.
6. Performs basic skills to provide for the patient`s comfort such as bedpans, urinals, blankets, and pillows; as well as unit specific and advanced vascular compe10cies independently.
7. Participates in departmental QA program.
8. Actively participates in the departmental ICAVL accreditation process every 3 years
9. Applies basic vascular ultrasound knowledge and skills to clinical situations and assumes responsibility for achieving patient outcomes.
10. Demonstrates basic critical thinking in the application of technical imaging skills but requires assistance from more experienced RVT for advanced disease pathology or protocols.
11. Functions as a team member, respondng willingly to colleagues needs for assistance and partnership.
12. Practices and documents the department process reflecting the age-specific needs of the patient population.
13. Provides unit based staff education through weekly vascular conference.
14. Demonstrates critical thinking in handling complex situations.
15. Engages in continuous learning as evidence by formal and informal educaiton.
16. Provides teaching to patients and families.
17. Demonstrates the componets of the ICARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence).
18. Demonstrates ServicePride standards (smiles, and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact ; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each to go above and beyond for 1 patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
19. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
20. Performs other duties as assigned.
Associate Degree or Bachelor Degree (preferred) in Ultrasound or Vascular Technology from an accredited university, college or Ultrasound Diagnostic School.
1-2 years full time experience in an accredited non-invasive vascular laboratory or previously hired as student sonographer within the dept.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Required.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Must be able to provide a comprehensive history and physical regarding patient symptoms; risk factors; previous vascular surgery and how each component relates to the non-invasive study to be performed and the preliminary findings based on diagnostic criteria.
2. Must be able to write and speak effectively in English.
3. Must have strong oral and written communication skills.
4. Basic computer proficiency required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report s Best Hospital list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of 100 Best Companies To Work For since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world. APPLY.