WEYMOUTH AMBULATORY PRACTICE MANAGER / 40 HOURS / DAY / BWH - NEUROLOGY 9/17/2017
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Located at South Shore Hospital and Reporting to the Neurology Practice Administrator and working collaboratively with the Associate Chief for South Shore Neurology, staff neurologists, and others, the Practice Manager will be responsible for coordinating and facilitating the daily operations for the BWH/SSH Practice. This position is ultimately responsible for ensuring efficient utilization of all components of the Practice. Position requires the ability to work well independently as well as function as a good team player. Position requires the ability to work in a collegial way with physicians, other care providers and practice staff. Position requires sensitive handling of confidential information with tact and diplomacy as well as the communication skills and empathy necessary to deliver services effectively to a diverse and chronically ill patient population.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Daily management of administrative and medical assistant staff
Hires, trains, evaluates and holds accountable the practice and medical assistant staff. Specifically, the practice assistants have the following role responsibilities: outpatient scheduling, patient check-in, patient check-out, referral and authorization acquisition and management, verifying accuracy of all demographic and fiscal information, and, as indicated making confirmation calls. Medical Assistants have responsibility for performing and recording vital signs, medication reconciliation, confirming care team members and other associated tasks. Performs 3-month evaluations, annual performance appraisals and progressive discipline in accordance with Departmental and Hospital guidelines. Bases decisions and actions on a thorough understanding of the issues at hand and proceeds with respect and diplomacy. Seeks consultation from the Practice Administrator as needed.
Models appropriate behavior for staff ensuring the staff understands and delivers the highest quality service standards. This includes but is not limited to: the delivery of excellent customer service to internal and external customers, the accurate and timely completion of all associated practice activities including but not limited to: patient clinic and Neuropsychological testing scheduling, check-in, check-out, referral and authorization management, medication refill management, and the timely follow-up of all Patient Gateway requests.
Ensures new employees are provided with appropriate Hospital, Departmental, and Divisional training. Serves as a trainer and content expert for practice-related information systems software utilized by medical and administrative staff.
Authorizes and monitors all benefit time in accordance with Hospital and Neurology Departmental standards
Time reporting: Ensures non-exempt employees time is accurately captured and that all Hospital time reporting policies are adhered to
Ambulatory and Hospital Personnel Policy Standards. Coordinates and delegates daily administrative responsibilities required by the Neurologists
Leads staff meetings
Empowers and serves as a mentor, resource and advocate for members of practice support staff.
Allocates staff through constant monitoring of daily activity to support practice operations and ensure the timely completion of tasks
2. Ambulatory Care Services: Responsible for the on-site daily clinical operations of the Practice. Designs and implements short and long term planning to support existing and integrate new clinical and research services. Manages the processes to ensure efficient scheduling, registration, check-in, check-out, cash collection, prescription refill and referral and authorization management. Assesses operational deficiencies and designs and implements process improvement efforts to address them. Works closely with the Practice Administrator and Patient and Family Relations to resolve patient concerns in a timely fashion. Tracks Quality Improvement Initiatives and assists with the process of monitoring Quality Assurance and Patient Satisfaction. Works closely with Neurology Administration, Physician leaders, technologists and others to ensure effective integration of patient services. Serves as primary contact to facilitate collaboration among BWH and SSH staff and to resolve daily issues. Makes recommendations for space allocations and coordinates transitions. Maintains a close working relationship with Facilities and Information Systems to resolve daily issues. Proactively designs and implements processes to address patient and employee satisfaction results. Analyzes and produces reports related to volume, workflow, and patient flow, and advises the Practice Administrator. As indicated, works collaboratively with others on the Neurology Practice Management team and the Practice Administrator on identifying and implementing opportunities for practice and medical assistant staff cross-training and centralizing services. Works closely with the Vice Chair, practice physicians, and Practice Administrator to proactively identify and resolve Practice deficiencies. Develops and implements new policies for the various areas of the practice as necessary. Works collaboratively with the South Shore and Brigham Hospitals support departments on operational issues as they arise. Services as a resource to those departments and individuals.
3. Works collaboratively with the SSH Neurology Chief, other division physician leaders, and the Practice Administrator and South Shore Hospital staff, as indicated, on designing and implementing systems enhancements.
4. Stroke Program: Supports and works with the physician Stroke Program Director on program development and outreach.
5. Sleep Program: Works collaboratively with the Sleep physicians, South Shore Hospital Sleep Lab, Scheduling and Prior authorization staffs on systems development and more streamlined authorization acquisition and scheduling processes and report turn around. Serves as a resource expert to others both internal and external to the Department.
6. Maintains physicians clinic scheduling templates: Maintains neurologists clinic schedules, updating as required. Continuously monitors schedules ensuring schedules are being appropriately filled and utilized.
7. Interfaces with South Shore Hospital leadership and staff: Represents BWH Neurology and the SSH/BWH Neurology practice at various meetings and engages in process redesign affecting practice operations and patient care.
8. Billing: Closely monitors Managed Care referral and authorization functions, which includes accurately capturing all requisite referral and authorization numbers prior to the date of service. This includes but is not limited to the supervision, training of practice staff and communicating with referring physicians offices. Ensures all co-pays are collected on the date of service by coordinating, managing and providing training and support on the process of cash collection as it relates to patient co-payments. Ensures accurate patient registrations by triaging patients to the Patient Service Center and/or SSH Registration verifying and collecting updated demographic and insurance information at the time of scheduling and check-in.
9. Safety: Ensures full compliance with the Hospital, Departmental, JCAHO and DPH guidelines. Administers annual safety training as well as ongoing education as it relates to safe practices. Serves as Safety Supervisor specific to the Practice to include site surveying, inspections, mock fire drills, and employee incident reporting.
10. New Physician Onboarding: Manages the onboarding of new neurologists to the Practice. This work includes but is not limited to: ensuring the SSH credentialing process is timely, identifying session days and opening