- Job Descriptions
- Landscape Architect
Responsible for designing outside spaces, such as parks, gardens, playgrounds, yards, campuses, and shopping centers. Plants trees, bushes, flowers, and bulbs throughout the year for aesthetic purposes. Plans location of buildings, roads, and walkways.
- Create aesthetically pleasing landscapes decorated with bushes, shrubs, trees, flowers, and benches.
- Plan the location of buildings, roads, and walkways.
- Prune shrubs and flowers as needed throughout the year.
- Determine best arrangement of roads and buildings.
- Conserve and restore natural resources.
- Create plans that include new topography, vegetation, and walkways.
- Place fountains, bridges, benches, and other decorative features to enhance appearance of park, garden, or building.
- Estimate project expenses and length of project.
- Analyze natural elements of a site, including climate, soil, drainage, and slope of land.
- Modify existing structures.
- Evaluate project's impact on local ecosystem.
- Prepare and submit preliminary designs.
- Use video simulation to help clients envision the proposed ideas and plans.
- Use geographic information systems to large-scale site planning.
- Consult with hydrologists, civil engineers, and architects during project.
- Create miniature models of project for clients.
- Purchase necessary materials.
- Monitor installation of materials.
- Direct construction of the site.
- Improve upon appearance of public parks and waterfronts.
- Preserve and restore wetlands.
- Prepare environmental impact statements.
- Perform studies on environmental issues.