- Job Descriptions
- Law Clerk
Responsible for researching, compiling, comparing, and organizing legal documents for judges and lawyers. Assists judges and lawyers in court proceedings.
- Research issues before the court.
- Write opinions based on research.
- Participate in the formation of case law.
- Assist judge in courtroom proceedings.
- Manage exhibits submitted into evidence.
- Interact with chambers staff, court personnel, litigants and the public.
- Assist the judge with settlement conferences and discovery disputes.
- Review briefs submitted by the parties.
- Verify cited legal authority.
- Draft a variety of legal documents including trial briefs, memoranda and orders.
- Research and analyze complex legal issues in civil and criminal appeals.
- Educate and advise the judge and legal staff on the facts and legal issues of a case prior to oral argument.
- Research and write bench memoranda.
- Maintain chambers library.
- Make recommendations regarding the disposition of appeals.
- Draft concise, well-researched opinions, bench memoranda and other legal documents.
- Attend court sessions to hear oral arguments.
- Keep abreast of changes in the law.
- Review dockets of pending litigation.
- Review complaints, petitions, motions, or pleadings.