Responsible for caring for sick, injured, or disabled people in a healthcare setting. Works under the direction of a registered nurse.
- Care for people who are sick, injured, convalescent, or disabled.
- Provide bedside care.
- Record patients' vital signs such as height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse, and respiration.
- Monitor signs continually for changes.
- Prepare and give injections.
- Insert and monitor catheters.
- Administer alcohol rubs.
- Give massages.
- Check and dress wounds.
- Apply topical ointments.
- Assist with bathing and dressing.
- Feed patient.
- Supervise nursing assistants.
- Collect samples for testing.
- Perform laboratory tests.
- Record food and fluid intake and output.
- Clean and monitor medical equipment.
- Deliver, care for, and feed infants.
- Report adverse reactions to medication.
- Obtain medical histories.
- Complete insurance forms.
- Complete pre-authorizations and referrals.
- Teach relatives how to care for patients at home.
- Develop care plans.
- Make appointments.
- Keep records and perform other clerical duties.
- Prepare meals.