Lyricist Job Description
Responsible writing the words for songs to entertain, tell a story, capture emotion, or teach a lesson. Composes, arranges, and edits lyrics.
- Creates lyrics to go along with tunes.
- Write choruses and hooks.
- Express emotions through lyrics.
- Work with composers to set lyrics to music.
- Employ music instruments to go along with lyrics during composition stage, including synthesizers, violins, pianos, and guitars.
- Listen to music and compose lyrics to go along with melody.
- Write lyrics that can be used in advertising jingles, cartoons, educational and training videos, soundtracks to movies, and intros for television shows.
- Network with musicians, singers, producers and other entertainment executives.
- Work with creative development manager to promote work.
- Compose lyrics for operas, musical plays, and choral works.
- Produce words for different types of music, including rap, hip hop, rock, and country.
- Listen to previous hits to determine popularity of certain genres.
- Revise verses.
- Work with singers to appropriately convey lyrics.