- Job Descriptions
- Marine Cargo Inspector
Responsible for inspecting and verifying cargo on marine vessels. Ensures cargo conforms to safety regulations.
- Inspect cargo on seagoing vessels.
- Certify cargo and packaging is in compliance with health and safety regulations.
- Determine if cargo in holds can proceed to its destination.
- Decide if cargo needs repair or maintenance.
- Read documents to see what is in the cargo.
- Compute tolls and wharf fees.
- Read blueprints of ship and determine if cargo can fit in designated space.
- Determine license and safety equipment required.
- Calculate gross and net tonnage, hold capacities, volume of stored fuel and water, cargo weight, and ship stability factors.
- Write out certificates of admeasurement.
- Issue certificates of compliance for cargo that passes inspection.
- Recommend procedures to correct compliance issues.
- Ensure that cargo manifests match what's actually being shipped.
- Facilitate efficient trading by sea.
- Take photos and document findings to produce a report.
- Consider the transportation conditions of various freight and implement better methods as necessary.
- Investigate frozen or live produce.
- Direct workers loading and unloading cargo.