- Job Descriptions
- Mining & Geological Engineer
Responsible for extracting and preparing coal and minerals for use in manufacturing industries and utilities, and also for the safe, economical, and environmentally sound operation of mines.
- Design open-pit and underground mines.
- Supervise construction of mine shafts.
- Oversee construction of underground tunnels.
- Work alongside geologists and other engineers.
- Locate and appraise ore deposits.
- Develop new mining equipment.
- Design direct mineral-processing operations that separate dirt and rock from other materials.
- Solve problems and obstacles related to land reclamation and water and air pollution.
- Ensure workers are practicing safe extraction methods.
- Inspect surfaces of walls and roofs for cracks.
- Monitor air quality.
- Examine mining equipment for compliance with safety practices.
- Determine if ore deposits can be mined for profit.
- Study maps and waterways.
- Plan and direct mining operations.
- Decide where to dig pits for surface mining.
- Train crews of workers and supervisors.
- Repair malfunctioning mining equipment.
- Design equipment used to excavate mines.
- Design equipment that cuts and carves out rock and coal.
- Select explosives to blast ore deposits.
- Create transportation methods to allow for the transportation of minerals and metals to processing plans.