- Job Descriptions
- Municipal Fire Fighter
Responsible for responding to and putting out fires with fire suppression methods, educating the public on fire prevention, investigating fires, and responding to emergency situations.
- Combat fires and help save and protect lives.
- Extinguish fires using various fire suppression methods, including smothering fires and using water to douse fires.
- Provide emergency care for sick and injured persons.
- Respond to emergency fires.
- Educate public on how to prevent fires.
- Perform routine maintenance of fire safety equipment, including sprinkler systems and extinguishers.
- Enter buildings via the roof or window.
- Control spread of infectious disease.
- Perform fire combat, containment, extinguishment and water supply tasks.
- Remove victims from hazardous locations.
- Lay hose, throw salvage covers, sweep water, and remove debris.
- Respond to fire alarms.
- Maintain incident records.
- Climb ladders to gain access to upper levels of buildings.
- Create openings in buildings for ventilation.
- Use positive pressure ventilation, salvage covers, and smoke ejectors to protect property from smoke and water damage.
- Selects, drags, lifts and carries hose and nozzle depending on the type of fire, and correctly applies a stream of water or chemicals onto the fire.
- Inspect buildings and hydrants.
- Maintain fire equipment, apparatus, and facilities.
- Present programs about fire safety tips to the community.