Responsible for operating the nuclear reactor at power plants. Conducts inspections, responds to incidents, and reads and adjusts gauges.
- Operate nuclear reactors safely and efficiently at power plant.
- Control and monitor boilers, adjust gauges, and analyze temperature readings.
- Monitor turbines, generators, and auxiliary equipment in power-generating plants.
- Regulate output from generators.
- Communicate with dispatchers at distribution centers to match production with system the load.
- Keep records of switching operations and loads on generators, lines, and transformers.
- Report and address unusual incidents.
- Perform equipment maintenance.
- Control equipment that affects the power of the reactor in a nuclear power plant.
- Anticipate changes in power needs caused by weather.
- Handle reactor startups, routine procedures, control room coverage, shutdown operations, sample irradiations and packaging, decontamination, testing and calibration of equipment, and other assignments related to reactor operations.
- Adhere to radiation protection measures.
- Regulate flux level, reactor period, coolant temperature, and rate of power flow.
- Conduct inspections.
- Direct reactor operators.
- Participate in preparation, transfer, loading, and unloading of nuclear fuel elements.