Ordinary Seaman Job Description
- Work towards certification as an able seaman.
- Stand watch on deck department of merchant ship.
- Perform lookout duty.
- Take a turn at ship's wheel.
- Work with bridge equipment.
- Clean and perform maintenance on ship.
- Work with deck equipment.
- Identify and remove rust accumulations.
- Refinish affected areas with sealants, primers, and paints to slow the oxidation process.
- Scale, buff, and paint decks.
- Scrub, sweep, and wash deck.
- Splice wire and rope.
- Demonstrate marlinspike seamanship skills.
- Stage large amounts of equipment, such as twist-locks, braces, ratchet-straps, tie-down rods.
- Break out, rig, overhaul, and stow cargo-handling gear, stationary rigging, and running gear.
- Secure or fasten cargo to ship.
- Check cargo to look for wear and tear, broken or compromised securements, shifting, or any other sort of noncompliance.
- Loosen cargo at end of voyage.
- Launch and recover boats.
Payroll Title: ABLE SEAMAN Department: NIMITZ MARINE FACIL Salary Range Commensurate with Experience Worksite: SIO Appointment Type: Per Diem Appointment Percen...
Job Description: DECK HAND (MOB-16-0889-F): C-Port Marine Services seeks a Part-Time Deckhand to work on a 41' utility vessel and a 32' high speed vessel during training operation...