Responsible for selling different parts in mechanical, hardware, repair, or parts stores. Assesses needs, takes orders, finds products, and checks out customers.
- Help customers find the spare parts they are looking for.
- Read catalogs to determine new parts on market.
- Ensure all necessary parts are stocked and ready for purchase.
- Order new parts from catalog as needed.
- Determine replacement parts required, according to inspections of old parts, customer requests, or customers' descriptions of malfunctions.
- Look over machine, product, or car to determine what part is needed.
- Locate other vendors who have the part if it isn't carried in store.
- Recommend substitute parts or show customers how to modify parts.
- Examine parts for defects.
- Exchange defective parts.
- Check out customers.
- Take cash, check, or credit card for purchase and dispense change.
- Take inventory of stock and replenish when needed.
- Take orders over the phone.
- Sell parts to repair garages, retail shops, truck and bus companies, dealers, and the public.
- Measure parts, using precision measuring instruments to determine whether similar parts may be machined to required size.
- Mark and store parts in stockroom according to prearranged system.
- Set up merchandise for display.
- Answer the customers' questions or problems.
- Use knowledge of machines and equipment to discuss the use and features of parts.
- Look up stock numbers and prices for parts in catalogs or on computers.
- Receive and deliver parts to customers.