Postal Service Mail Processor Job Description
Responsible for sorting and preparing mail for distribution by a mail carrier. Assist in loading mail career vehicles. Unload vehicles at the end of shift and properly file away mail that could not be delivered.
- Use machines to sort and prepare mail for distribution.
- Hand sort letters as necessary.
- Prepare mail to be loaded onto carrier trucks.
- Load postal trucks and ensure parcels are packed in delivery route order.
- Load and operate mail processing, sorting, and canceling machinery.
- Sort and organize mail for future delivery.
- Unload trucks after route has been completed.
- Repair machinery.
- Bundle, label, and route sorted mail to designated areas depending on destinations and according to established procedures and deadlines.
- Operate computer scanning equipment, addressographs, mimeographs, and optical character readers.
- Assist customers at teller windows.
- Fix wet, spoiled, or broken packages.
- Check items to ensure that addresses are legible and correct.
- Place mail onto conveyors for culling and sorting.
- Weigh parcels to determine postage.
- Operate forklifts and trains to move mail and large boxes.