Power Distributor & Dispatcher Job Description
Responsible for controlling the flow of electricity through a network of transmission lines from power plants to industrial plants and substations or residential users.
- Control and monitor boilers, generators, and auxiliary equipment.
- Distribute power among generators.
- Monitor instruments.
- Access power grid.
- Control flow of electricity through transmission lines to industrial plants and substations that supply residential and commercial needs for electricity.
- Monitor and operate current converters, voltage transformers, and circuit breakers.
- Monitor other distribution equipment and record readings at a map board, or a diagram of the transmission grid system showing the status of transmission circuits and connections with substations and industrial plants.
- Communicate with power plant operators, energy traders, and local utilities to route energy from generating stations to customers.
- Anticipate changes in power needs caused by weather, such as increased demand for power on a hot day or outages during a thunderstorm.
- React to changes in the structure of the grid due to transformer or transmission line failures and route current around affected areas.
- Operate and monitor equipment that increases or decreases voltage.
- Operate switchboard levers to control the flow of electricity in and out of the substations.