- Job Descriptions
- Power Plant Equipment Operator
Responsible for maintaining and operating the equipment at a power plant. Adjusts gauges and dials, reads temperatures, and records output. Performs maintenance as needed.
- Maintain and operate power plant equipment.
- Control and monitor boilers, turbines, generators, and auxiliary equipment.
- Perform calibration check of scale accuracy at the beginning of each work shift.
- Control and operate equipment such as loaders, drills, tractors, trucks, crushers, excavators, fork lifts, bulldozers and cranes.
- Observe gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Perform maintenance on equipment.
- Control machinery that generates electricity.
- Distribute power among generators, regulate the output from several generators, and monitor instruments to maintain voltage and regulate electricity flows from the plant.
- Communicate with dispatchers at distribution centers to match production with system the load.
- Start and stop generators, altering the amount of electricity output.
- Ensure everything is operating smoothly and efficiently.
- Prepare for emergencies or potential disasters.
- Keep records of switching operations and loads on generators, lines, and transformers.
- Report and follow up on incidents.
- Detect and isolate malfunctioning equipment.
- Operate and monitor equipment that increases or decreases voltage.
- Operate switchboard levers to control the flow of electricity in and out of the substations.