Responsible for researching and developing ideas and processes for new products. Improves upon the performance and design of existing products and oversees production and packaging of final product.
- Design, model, and test prototypes for products.
- Conduct research and create design proposals for projects.
- Establish design briefs.
- Create concepts, performance, and production criteria.
- Identify and select materials needed for production.
- Produce final hand drawings and specifications.
- Create parts lists.
- List costs involved in production.
- Make samples of working models for demonstration.
- Plan marketing initiatives for product.
- Negotiate appropriate production processes.
- Travel to production facilities to evaluate processes.
- Improve usability of an item.
- Use computer-aided design (CAD) to design concepts.