- Job Descriptions
- Radio Operator
Responsible for operating radio equipment. Communicates with public, airplanes, ships, oil rigs, or other remote operations. Adjusts voice volume and sets transmitters to certain frequencies.
- Communicate with people on remote operations, including aircraft, mining, and offshore oil rigs.
- Broadcast weather or traffic conditions.
- Receive and transmit communications.
- Use radiotelegraph or radiotelephone equipment.
- Clean, repair, and store equipment.
- Test equipment to ensure its functioning properly.
- Install, operate, and monitor radio equipment.
- Report violations regarding radio communications.
- Interpret coded messages and emergency signals.
- Record signals for intelligence personnel analysis.
- Determine where signals originate.
- Participate during military field exercises.
- Exchange transmission instructions with receiving operators.
- Monitor emergency frequencies and respond to calls or distress.
- Activate power and adjust voice volume.
- Utilize GPS and other direction-finding equipment.
- Dispatch emergency personnel.
- Remain familiar with Federal Aviation Authority regulations regarding radio communications.