- Job Descriptions
- Rail Car Repairer
Responsible for inspecting, diagnosing, and completing repairs on rail cars. Overhauls railroad rolling stock, mine cars, and rail cars.
- Adjust and repair rail cars, rolling stock, and mine cars.
- Read and understand operating manuals, blueprints, and drawings.
- Clean and lubricate parts.
- Diagnose and identify malfunctions.
- Inspect, repair, and replace defective or worn parts, such as bearings, pistons, and gears.
- Test major components using computers and tools.
- Test and operate engines, hydraulics, and electrical systems.
- Reassemble heavy equipment.
- Repair large equipment.
- Service locomotives, subway cars, and rolling stock.
- Repair pistons, and gears, using hand tools, torque wrenches, power tools, and welding equipment.
- Record condition of cars.
- Remove locomotives using hoists, jacks, and pinch bars.
- Inspect bearings, seals, gaskets, wheels, and coupler assemblies to determine if repairs are needed.
- Clean units and components.
- Ensure proper operation.
- Repair and install wood writings.
- Maintain electronic controls for propulsion.