Responsible for working on the train and coordinating activities of freight and passenger train crews.
- Ensure passengers board safely and baggage is properly secured.
- Check passengers’ tickets.
- Stamp tickets and issue receipts.
- Take payments from passengers who did not buy tickets in advance.
- Announce stations and give other announcements as needed.
- Announce bad weather.
- Help passengers to safety when needed.
- Assist passengers with disabilities.
- Deal with unruly passengers when needed
- Oversee loading and unloading of cargo.
- Give departing passengers directions.
- Coordinate activities of train crew.
- Ensure safety and comfort of all onboard.
- Point passengers to areas where they can use the bathroom or buy food and drink.
- Discuss train's route, timetable, and cargo with locomotive engineer.
- Keep locomotive engineer informed of any changes in the condition of train.
- Receive and relay information about delays and the location of other trains.