- Job Descriptions
- Refuse Material Collector
Responsible for collecting garbage, debris, and recyclables from homes, streets, and businesses. Picks up garbage bins and dumps refuse into trucks.
- Pick up debris and refuse from homes and businesses.
- Manually move material from one place to another.
- Pack or wrap material by hand.
- Keep a record of the material they move.
- Go back to retrieve cans that were missed.
- Pick up trash on the street that missed dumpster.
- Replace trash cans curbside.
- Use signals to assist machine operators who are moving larger pieces of material.
- Pick up leaves and yard refuse.
- Transport trash to dump, landfill, or recycling center.
- Lift cans by hand and empty into truck, or operate crane to lift cans.
- Drive garbage or recycling truck along scheduled route.
- Use a hydraulic lift to empty contents of the dumpster into their truck.
- Refuel trucks or add other fluids, such as oil or brake fluid.
- Operate automated or semi-automated hoisting devices.
- Tell dispatchers about delays or accidents.
- Inspect dump trucks before and after route.