Responsible for performing account work for the Internal Revenue Service and equivalent agencies. Examine and prepare income, sales, and tax returns for large businesses and corporations.
- Prepare returns for large companies and corporations.
- Perform accounting work for the IRS.
- Audit returns for accuracy.
- Examine small business returns.
- Work in different industries, including construction, retail sales, or finance, insurance, and real estate.
- Perform accounting work for multinational businesses.
- Keep abreast of the lengthy, complex, and frequently changing tax code.
- Utilize computer technology to access legal bulletins, IRS notices, and tax-related court decisions.
- Analyze data and identify trends.
- Identify tax offenders.
- Use revenue adjustment reports forwarded by the IRS to determine whether adjustments made by Federal revenue agents affect a taxpayer's taxable income in the eyes of the States.
- Consider the sales and income taxes for their own States.
- Perform field audits or office audits of financial records.
- Examine financial records of individuals.
- Apply local tax laws regarding income, utility fees, or school taxes.