Responsible for designing the sets on TV, movie, theatre, and film productions. Collaborates with director and interprets scripts to visualize set. Works with set builders to bring vision to life on stage.
- Concept, create, and craft sets to be used on TV, film, movies, and theatrical productions.
- Sketch out set plans, using hand-rendering or computer software.
- Assign staff to complete design ideas and prepare sketches, illustrations, and detailed drawings of sets, or graphics and animation.
- Read scripts to get an idea of what set will entail.
- Order materials for production of set.
- Oversee building of set, working alongside construction workers and assistants.
- Research architectural styles and previous sets for inspiration.
- Select the furniture, wall coverings, floor coverings, and large props to be used in set.
- Capture time period and mood with adequate props and lighting.
- Produce scale models for director to approve.
- Make changes to set as necessary.
- Provide estimations on how much set will cost to build.
- Help builders adhere to budget.
- Analyze stage entrances and exits to ensure set is situated properly.
- Demonstrate set abilities to crewmembers, including actors.
- Ensure stage is properly broken down and disposed of after use.