Responsible for cleansing hair in a beauty salon or barbershop. Applies shampoo, rubs scalp vigorously, rinses hair, and applies conditioner.
- Greet client and direct them to shampooing station.
- Arrange for towel to be placed on their neck to make them more comfortable.
- Place protective garment over patron to keep their clothes dry.
- Run water.
- Test water to ensure it's not too hot or cold.
- Wet client's hair thoroughly until hair is completely saturated.
- Consult client to determine which shampoo is appropriate.
- Select shampoo and apply generous amount to hair.
- Work up lather by rubbing scalp vigorously.
- Perform relaxing scalp massage.
- Ensure shampoo gets into nape of neck to cleanse thoroughly.
- Perform hand massage if necessary.
- Turn on water again and completely rinse shampoo product from hair.
- Repeat process if necessary.
- Apply condition and work product from roots to tip.
- Let conditioner sit on hair to penetrate cuticles.
- Rinse conditioner thoroughly from hair.
- Place towel over client's head and neck to sop up water.
- Rub towel through hair to soak up water.
- Direct client to appropriate chair for haircut.
- Restock salon shelves with products.
- Order products as needed.
- Answer client's questions about hair maintenance.