- Job Descriptions
Responsible for reading, interpreting, and singing lyrics during a performance or recording session. May work in an ensemble, as a solo artist, in a choir, as a backup singer, in operas, on Broadway, or other musical theater.
- Sing lyrics during performances with the goal of entertaining audiences.
- Convey emotion including joy, sadness, revenge, heartbreak, or conflict in songs.
- Sing different styles, including pop, jazz, rhythm and blues, rock, or country.
- Arrange instruments to accompany vocals, such as piano or saxophone.
- Apply knowledge of harmony, melody, rhythm, and voice production during numbers.
- Rehearse with ensemble or director of production.
- Train or prep voice using different melodies and ranges.
- Project voice so all of audience can hear.
- Observe director's cues on stage.
- Study and memorize music.
- Provide backup vocals.
- Record demos of songs in studios.
- Work with producers to fine-tune songs or albums.
- Collaborate with a manager or agent who handles administrative details, finds work, and negotiates contracts.
- Research roles.
- Collaborate with creative directors to improve the sound and style.
- Go on tour with band or independently to promote music.
- Perform at festivals, theatrical productions, concerts, coffee shops, bars, or other venues.
- Give voice lessons to students interested in learning the art of singing.
- Write lyrics to songs.
- Commission songwriters to write lyrics.