- Job Descriptions
- Soil Conservationist
Responsible for coming up with ways to control soil erosion or conserve soil. Performs research, conducts studies in the field, and writes reports.
- Create and implement soil management techniques, including nutrient management, buffers, erosion control, and filter strips.
- Schedule and conduct annual audits of areas where soil conversation is being mandated.
- Enter soil and water data into adaptive tools and analyze results.
- Employ geographic information systems (GIS) applications to address issues such as surface water quality, groundwater quality, ecological risk assessments, air quality, or environmental contamination.
- Handle issues covering wetland jurisdiction.
- Provide solutions to farmers and ranchers' soil problems.
- Design and carry out soil conservation practices.
- Develop comprehensive natural resources conservation programs.
- Assist landowners and operators of agricultural, residential, recreational and public lands in the planning, application and maintenance of a variety of agronomic and engineering practices that address soil, water, air, plant, animal and human resource issues.
- Walk landscape and collect resource data.
- Propose practical and suitable alternatives for resource concerns.
- Plan, coordinate, or advise on work efforts, or to resolve issues to carry out cooperative conservation work smoothly and efficiently.
- Contact program participants to follow-up on conservation plans and contracts.
- Document accomplishments and recommend further action required to ensure conservation objectives.
- Provide national leadership for development of data to support landscape conservation initiatives and related activities.
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to individuals, small groups, and units of government in the development and implementation of conservation and natural resources plans.
- Aid in decisions on how to conserve, improve, and maintain their soil, water, air, plant, animal, and human resources.
- Applies or supervises the application of conservation practices on farms.