- Job Descriptions
- Streetcar Operator
Responsible for operating streetcars in urban areas in order to transport passengers from one place to another. Announces next stop on route, opens doors, and ensure passengers depart safely from the streetcar.
- Operate streetcars to transport passengers.
- Drive electric-powered streetcars, trolleys, and light-rail vehicles that run on streets or on separate tracks above ground.
- Observe signals on the track that indicate when they are supposed to start, stop, or slow down.
- Watch for people or debris on tracks.
- Make announcements, such as the stop, final destination, or delays.
- Control the vehicle’s speed based on regulations for the section of track on which they are operating.
- Open and close vehicle doors at scheduled stops.
- Watch to make sure all passengers get on and off the vehicle safely.
- Help disabled passengers off car.
- Communicate with dispatchers to report or be informed of delays or other problems.
- Listen for warnings about dangerous weather conditions.
- Report delays.
- Ensure the safe evacuation of passengers during a breakdown or emergency situation.
- Take payments from passengers and issue receipts.
- Test vehicles during non-operating hours and report problems to management.
- Take in cars for repairs.
- Drive in regular traffic and obey traffic laws.
- Answer questions about fares, schedules, and routes.