Responsible for laying out and fabricating structural steel and sheet metal in order to build metal structures. Welds and cuts steel, interprets blueprints, and works with concrete reinforcing steel bars.
- Build and install iron or steel girders, columns, and other construction materials to form buildings, bridges, and other structures.
- Cut, position, and bolt down steel bars to reinforce concrete.
- Repair older infrastructure.
- Make, weld, and cut structural metal in fabricating shops.
- Erect steel frames.
- Direct operation of cranes to move structural steel, reinforcing bars, and other materials onto and around the construction site.
- Connect steel columns, beams, and girders.
- Drill holes into steel for bolts.
- Number steel according to assembly instructions.
- Unload and stack steel.
- Attach cables to steel and then to the crane.
- Hoist steel into place in the framework.
- Position steel with connecting bars and spud wrenches.
- Work with driftpins to align the holes in the steel with the framework holes.
- Use plumb bobs, levels, and laser equipment to check alignment.
- Bolt or weld piece into place.
- Set reinforcing bars into forms to hold concrete.
- Fasten bars together with wire.
- Place spacers under rebar to lift bars off deck.
- Cut bars with metal shears and torches.
- Reinforce concrete with welded wire fabric.
- Substitute cables for rebar.
- Tighten cables with jacking equipment.
- Install stairs, handrails, or curtain walls.
- Make sure all pieces are fitted properly and complete repairs as necessary.