- Job Descriptions
- System Operator
Responsible for operating systems at utility companies, non-utility generators, and other companies that access the power grid. Controls and regulates flow of electricity through transmission lines to industrial plants.
- Operate systems at utility companies and other companies that access power grid.
- Monitor and operate current converters.
- Control the flow of electricity through transmission lines to industrial plants and substations that supply residential and commercial needs for electricity.
- Observe voltage transformers and circuit breakers.
- Monitor other distribution equipment and record readings at a map board.
- Monitor the status of transmission circuits and connections with substations and industrial plants.
- Communicate with power plant operators, energy traders, and local utilities to route energy from generating stations to customers.
- Anticipate changes in power needs caused by weather.
- React to changes in the structure of the grid due to transformer or transmission line failures and route current around affected areas.
- Operate and monitor equipment that increases or decreases voltage.
- Operate switchboard levers to control the flow of electricity in and out of the substations.