- Job Descriptions
- Tax Examiner
Responsible for examining and reviewing filed tax returns for accuracy. Decides whether credits and deductions should be allowed.
- Examine tax returns to determine if deductions and credits should be allowed.
- Work with federal, state, and local governments.
- Report any adjustments or corrections tax examiners make to the States.
- Determine whether the adjustments affect the taxpayer's State tax liability.
- Conduct audits.
- Identify taxes payable.
- Determine the factual basis for claims for refunds.
- Handle simple tax returns filed by individuals.
- Perform clerical duties.
- Review tax returns and enter them into a computer system for processing.
- Contact taxpayer to resolve discrepancy.
- Check taxpayers' math and make sure that the amounts they report match those from other sources.
- Verify that Social Security numbers match names.
- Ensure taxpayers interpret instructions on tax forms.
- Make copies of returns and file.
- Ensure all deductions are legitimate.
- Contact taxpayers by mail or telephone to address discrepancies and request supporting documentation.
- Notify taxpayers of any overpayment or underpayment and either issue a refund or request further payment.
- Adjust the total amount by assessing fees, interest, and penalties and notify the taxpayer of the total liability.
- Work with more complex tax issues, such as pensions or business net operating losses.