Tax Examiner Job Description
- Examine tax returns to determine if deductions and credits should be allowed.
- Work with federal, state, and local governments.
- Report any adjustments or corrections tax examiners make to the States.
- Determine whether the adjustments affect the taxpayer's State tax liability.
- Conduct audits.
- Identify taxes payable.
- Determine the factual basis for claims for refunds.
- Handle simple tax returns filed by individuals.
- Perform clerical duties.
- Review tax returns and enter them into a computer system for processing.
- Contact taxpayer to resolve discrepancy.
- Check taxpayers' math and make sure that the amounts they report match those from other sources.
- Verify that Social Security numbers match names.
- Ensure taxpayers interpret instructions on tax forms.
- Make copies of returns and file.
- Ensure all deductions are legitimate.
- Contact taxpayers by mail or telephone to address discrepancies and request supporting documentation.
- Notify taxpayers of any overpayment or underpayment and either issue a refund or request further payment.
- Adjust the total amount by assessing fees, interest, and penalties and notify the taxpayer of the total liability.
- Work with more complex tax issues, such as pensions or business net operating losses.
Responsibilities of this position include oversight of the federal, state and local tax function of the Company, assisting with tax research and planning strategies, performing due...
Description The Tax Senior Associate is responsible for utilizing research skills, applying tax foundational knowledge to understand potential tax issues, gathering financial and ...
Job Description Corporate Tax - International Tax Manager The company For more information about TIAA-CREF, visit our website. Description: Scope: I...