Tax Examiner Job Description
- Examine tax returns to determine if deductions and credits should be allowed.
- Work with federal, state, and local governments.
- Report any adjustments or corrections tax examiners make to the States.
- Determine whether the adjustments affect the taxpayer's State tax liability.
- Conduct audits.
- Identify taxes payable.
- Determine the factual basis for claims for refunds.
- Handle simple tax returns filed by individuals.
- Perform clerical duties.
- Review tax returns and enter them into a computer system for processing.
- Contact taxpayer to resolve discrepancy.
- Check taxpayers' math and make sure that the amounts they report match those from other sources.
- Verify that Social Security numbers match names.
- Ensure taxpayers interpret instructions on tax forms.
- Make copies of returns and file.
- Ensure all deductions are legitimate.
- Contact taxpayers by mail or telephone to address discrepancies and request supporting documentation.
- Notify taxpayers of any overpayment or underpayment and either issue a refund or request further payment.
- Adjust the total amount by assessing fees, interest, and penalties and notify the taxpayer of the total liability.
- Work with more complex tax issues, such as pensions or business net operating losses.
ACCOUNTING MANAGER: Port Washington, NY - Prepare and examine financial information and records of company. Determine tax liabilit...
The Senior Analyst, Tax Controversies plays a key role in the Internal Revenue Service examination process. The analyst will work...
This position will report to the Chief Financial Officer and be accountable for the development of foreign and domestic tax strate...