- Job Descriptions
- Theatrical Artist
Responsible for application of theatrical makeup to actors and actresses' faces for a play or dramatic performance.
- Apply makeup and prosthetics to the faces and bodies of actors and actresses.
- Analyze script to determine mood, look, and feel.
- Concept with directors on his or her ideas for appearance.
- Work in theaters and opera houses.
- Work with costume designer on color palettes to go with costumes and changes.
- Confer with stage officials on artistic direction.
- Check on lighting to determine if heavy makeup is needed.
- Study production information, including time period and character profiles.
- Write makeup sheets.
- Examine photographs and models.
- Maintain clean set equipment.
- Clean and scrub faces.
- Apply several layers of makeup.
- Apply prop makeup, including bruises or wrinkles if necessary.
- Purchase and maintain equipment, hairpieces, wigs and various prosthetic items.
- Adjust makeup as necessary during a performance.
- Suggest skin care routines to actors to minimize breakouts and chemical reactions.
- Travel to locations.
- Work within a team to apply makeup to one or more persons.