Title Examiner & Abstractor Job Description
Responsible for examining titles, searching real estate records, and compiling a list of mortgage and other contracts.
- Examine and verify titles.
- Search real estate records.
- Summarize legal or insurance documents.
- Compile lists of mortgages, contracts, and other instruments pertaining to titles by searching public and private records for law firms, real estate agencies, or title insurance companies.
- Search, analyze, and evaluate records relating to titles of homes, land, and buildings.
- Ensure that the title to a property in question has no restrictions that may prevent or hinder its sale or use.
- Issue title insurance, acquire rights of way, buy and sell property, grant mortgage loans, and obtain and protect mineral rights.
- Search public and private records for law firms, real estate agencies, or title insurance companies.
- Examine deeds, deeds of trust, liens, judgments, easements, and plats/maps to determine ownership, encumbrances, and to verify legal descriptions of property.
- Prepare property reports and title commitments.
- Analyze chain of title and preparation of reports outlining title-related matters.
- Examine title reports from outside abstractors.