- Job Descriptions
- Veterinary Technician
Responsible for caring for animals under the direction of a veterinarian. Feeds, bathes, and walks animals, takes specimens for laboratory analysis, and informs owner of possible problems.
- Perform medical tests on animals.
- Interpret results and inform owner.
- Treat and diagnose medical conditions.
- Order and interpret diagnostic imaging tests.
- Perform laboratory tests such as urinalysis and blood counts.
- Brush teeth and clip nails.
- Prepare tissue samples.
- Take blood and give injections.
- Record medical histories.
- Expose and develop x rays and radiographs.
- Discuss pet's condition with owner and possible solutions.
- Dispense medication.
- Train and supervise personnel.
- Provide care for cats, dogs, mice, rats, sheep, pigs, cattle, monkeys, birds, fish, and frogs.
- Record information on an animal's genealogy, diet, weight, medications, food intake, and clinical signs of pain and distress.
- Euthanize ill or unwanted animals.
- Participate in biomedical research.
- Clean cages.
- Restrain, lift, and hold animals as needed.
- Bathe and feed animals.