- Job Descriptions
- Waste Treatment Plant Operator
Responsible for operating waste treatment plants. Operates machinery that converts wastewater in drains and sewers into a form that's safe to release into the environment.
- Control equipment and monitor processes that remove or destroy harmful materials, chemicals, and microorganisms from wastewater.
- Run tests to make sure that the processes are working correctly.
- Keep records of water quality and other indicators.
- Operate and maintain the pumps and motors that move water and wastewater through filtration systems.
- Monitor the indicators at their plants and make adjustments as necessary.
- Read meters and gauges to make sure that plant equipment is working properly.
- Take samples and run tests to determine the quality of the water being produced.
- Adjust the amount of chemicals, such as chlorine and fluorine, being added to the water.
- Use computerized systems to monitor plant processes.
- Plan emergency reaction protocols.
- Fix chemical leaks and oxygen deficiencies.
- Keep records that document compliance.