Automation Controls Engineer, Production Engineering
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 4/5/2020
END DATE 9/15/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONTHE ROLE
Tesla is seeking a highly motivated Automation Controls Engineer for our Gigafactory New York location in Buffalo, NY to support the development of current automation equipment and assembly lines.
The Automation Controls Engineer will work to develop and improve machine and process concepts along with several Manufacturing/Production Engineering peers. He/She will debug and optimize automated processes to maximize cycle time, improve availability and yield to support a 24/7 production facility. Candidate will create and support robust system architecture and optimize layout electrical/pneumatic schematics. Once the electrical panel is built, he/she will program and troubleshoot all controls components such as PLC, safety devices, HMI, servo drives, process hardware and robots from power-on to debug, with ongoing support.
* Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process control requirements, layout complexity, cost, quality and lead-time limits.
* Lay out new industrial electrical control panels which are NFPA79/NEC/UL508A compliant, and create electrical, pneumatic and fluid schematics.
* Architect, write, and debug PLC ladder logic with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable. PLC code will interact with subsystems such as conveyors, robots, Manufacturing Execution System (MES), LabView, machine vision, and 3rd party equipment.
* Implement (ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA compliant) control reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and other high volume manufacturing equipment.
* Generate aesthetically simple HMI screens for complex machinery while providing sufficient feedback for troubleshooting.
* Select and size electrical and electro-mechanical components such as servos.
* Introduce automated processes into production, and train and Maintenance and Production Teams to support after deployment into production.
* Support machine interactions with plant-wide Manufacturing Execution System (MES) to communicate product acceptability, machine status, and process variables.
* Characterize and validate new automated process equipment for deployment into production.
* Debug and optimize automated processes to maximize cycle time, improve availability and yield.
* Create data management and tracking communications network architecture and interface with cross-functional teams for product, processes and quality trace-ability control implementation
* BS/MS Electrical Engineering, Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronics Engineering, Automation Engineering, etc. AND or equivalent experience.
* 2 + years of experience as a hands-on Automation Controls Engineer working on high volume automation and/or electro-mechanical production systems.
* Evidence of Exceptional Abilities.
* In depth knowledge of Electrical Standards and Safety standards.
* Advanced proficiency programming automated manufacturing equipment such as Ladder logic PLCs (Allen Bradley ControlLogix, CompactLogix and RSLogix 5000), Safety PLCs (Allen Bradley ControlLogix, SmartGuard), Human Machine Interface (HMI / GUI - AB Panelview, FactoryTalk, LabView, Ignition), Field bus Networks (AB DeviceNet, Ethernet IP, Safety rated field bus networks). Serial Communication (RS-232) between PLCs and instruments, Ethernet communications between machine PLCs and database systems.
* Experience with Omron PLC s and Vision Systems is a highly desired, but not required.
* Proficiency selecting appropriate circuit protectors, wire and cable, sensors, safety hardware, PLC hardware, remote I/O, VFD and servo systems.
* Proficiency creating detailed electrical and fluid schematics in CAD (AutoCAD Electrical preferred.)
* Experience programming Cartesian, SCARA and Articulated robots (Fanuc, Kuka, Motoman, Epson), Vision systems (Cognex, Keyence, Fanuc or Omron).
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.