AWS Cloud Data Architect Senior Director
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 7/2/2020
END DATE 8/13/2020
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (US)
JOB DESCRIPTIONVertex is seeking a unique individual with deep experience and passion for cutting-edge, cloud-based serverless data technology. We are looking to help define and implement a step change in science and our ability to help address human disease. Vertex is seeking a unique talent that can play a role at the intersection of science, data and technology to enable life changing impacts to people around the world. We seek a data technology leader who can work with our business and scientific strategists and drive a cloud data architecture that matches high ambitions. Vertex is a fast-moving organization which depends upon multiple technologies to compel our mission forward. Vertex is in a transformational period where we are accelerating our capabilities, technology and data to augment our scientific mission, enable Vertex to grow in scale and be a be on the forefront of science and medicine.
This position provides leadership and direction to our newly formed cloud & data function that will help revolutionize the way Vertex leverages data and the cloud to build new learning models in both our scientific and enterprise endeavors. Vertex is looking to embrace serverless as a core principle and enable microservice development as well as the ability to enable learning (ML/DL/AI.)
We are looking for a data architect with deep experience and the ability to be hands-on to transform how Vertex leverages the massive amount of internal and external data and to ensure unstructured data can be leveraged securely across multiple platforms. You will own the design of Vertex lakes and pipes, including architecture for ingestion, modeling, schema, metadata, quality, validation and ensuring data is optimized for analysis and ready for new learning models to be applied. We ve embraced the serverless ethos where possible and look to architect for flexibility and scale. We need to enable scientists including computational chemists and geneticists to explore, develop and leverage new computational models to tackle difficult biological problems to help people. We need to get this data into the hands of the rest of the business.
This is a hands-on role for someone who wants to solve important scientific problems that depend on big data and enable new paths of innovation.
* Responsible for establishing leadership and deep technical expertise by developing a comprehensive data architecture that matches Vertex s strategy
* Work collaboratively with Solutions, API and Security architects to design and build first iteration internal data platform
* Employ an iterative approach to enable a rapid release capability
* Design modeling to handle the complexities on internal data (scientific and enterprise) as well as the ability to ingest large data sets from external sources
* Enable scale as the data sets are large
* Data Domain Modeling and Logical Modeling; Data Profiling and Quality Assessment
* Creating Data Flow Diagram, optimal design and integration with app design and flow
* Designing optimal schema, partitions and indexing for relational and NoSQL storage variations (Columnar, Key-value pair, Object/Document based on situation
* Designing Event Stream and Schema
* Overall ownership for the data architecture and detail design of the cloud event hub, message queue, micro-services, and application processing in addition to S3 bucket structure, data schemas, and user application schema. (e.g. EMR workload)
* Study existing information processing systems to evaluate effectiveness and develops new systems to improve production or workflows as required
* Help develop master data governance framework, including data governance strategy, approach, and roadmap.
* Establish data dictionary and authoritative sources for the core data elements
* Partner with and other enterprise data functions to drive the long-term development of data infrastructure, including data warehousing, reporting, and analytics platforms.
* Review architectural designs and IT solutions to ensure consistency, maintainability, flexibility.
* Architect and implement with other teams the full deployment, data capacity planning and security for all production client deployments.
* Collaborate and support internal development needs for the product development of our platform as well as be a part of the development.
* Senior software engineer with heavy experience building enterprise-scale applications and data solutions using cutting edge AWS data and serverless capabilities.
* Knowledgeable about a variety of strategies for ingesting, modeling, processing, and persisting big data.
* Has significant experience with native AWS technologies for application and data platform development such as Redshift, DynamoDB, Neptune, Athena, S3, Lambda, Glue, EMR, Kinesis, SNS, CloudWatch, Firehose, S3, Step Functions, API Gateway, etc.
* Has familiarity with native AWS technologies for artificial intelligence and machine learning such as SageMaker, Rekognition, Comprehend, etc.
* Write secure, stable, testable, maintainable code with minimal defects within an automated build / test environment
* Expertise with one or more query languages (e.g. SQL), schema definition languages (e.g. DDL), and scripting languages (e.g. Python) to build data solutions.
* Prior experience with Infrastructure as Code technology such as Terraform or Cloudformation
* Prior experience with automated build processes and infastructure
* Experience architecting/building real time data ingestion/delivery streams
* Highly skilled at fast prototyping with iterative improvement
* Develop and maintain automated pipelines and data management capabilities using scripting languages such as Python, Spark, SQL and AWS services such as S3, Glue, Lambda, SNS, SQS, KMS, Kinesis, Firehose, Athena, etc.
* Implement and support core metadata, pipeline, reporting and analytics infrastructures for internal business customers such as analysts, data scientists, and technical advocates.
* Develop and maintain data security and permissions solutions for enterprise scale data platforms including data encryption and database user access controls and logging.
* Collaborate with application developers, database architects, data analysts and data scientists to design, build, and support APIs for retrieving and manipulating data
* Coach/advise junior team members and management on AWS technologies, possibilities, and approach.