Senior Scientist I/II, Protein Purification
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 7/20/2020
END DATE 8/8/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONABOUT ABBVIE
AbbVie s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Global Protein Sciences (GPS) Group is seeking a highly motivated Scientist to join its Protein Purification Group at AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA. As a member of the group, the candidate will be responsible for working in cross functional teams with other scientists in various therapeutic areas as well as the Biologics generation group in Worcester to advance the pipeline. Experience in purification of integral membrane proteins and/or production of Virus-like particles (VLP) is desired. The successful candidate will have experience in protein engineering and purification of antigens and novel fusion protein formats with a good understanding of technologies for generating difficult and complex proteins for various downstream applications.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
* Design, purify, and characterize soluble and membrane protein targets with enhanced expression and stability enabling functional studies and antibody discovery
* Read and apply relevant scientific literature to resolve key project challenges
* Effectively organize and communicate research progress through oral presentations and written documentation
* Work efficiently, collaboratively, and across functions to meet timelines and goals
* Introduce and lead innovative science enabling publication and external presentations
* Act as lead scientist in area of expertise and critically evaluate relevant scientific advances and integrate this knowledge into research projects
Position will be hired based on level of experience
* BS, MS, or PhD with typically 10+ (BS), 8+ (MS), or 0+ (PhD) years of relevant experience
* Experience with AKTA FPLC systems to purify proteins from various host expression systems
* Practical knowledge of standard protein analysis i.e. SDS-PAGE, western blot, and analytic SEC
* Expertise in protein engineering i.e. expression construct design
* Experience purifying integral membrane proteins desirable
* Experience in production of Virus-like particles (VLP) desirable
* Significant research experience as demonstrated by publications and scientific accomplishments
* Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams in a fast-paced discovery setting
* Experience in research and development of protein therapeutics a plus
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES
JOB LEVEL CODE
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.