Sr. Communication Specialist, Presidential Communications - University Communications
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/4/2020
END DATE 8/9/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONHoward University Mission
Howard University is a comprehensive, research-oriented, historically Black private university providing an educational experience of exceptional quality to students of high academic potential with particular emphasis upon the provision of educational opportunities to promising Black students. Further, the University is dedicated to attracting and sustaining a cadre of faculty who are, through their teaching and research, committed to the development of distinguished and compassionate graduates and to the quest for solutions to human and social problems in the United States and throughout the world. Position Compensation
Salary commensurate with qualifications, education & University guidelines. Position Information
The Senior Communications Specialist for Presidential Communications plays both a strategic and hands-on role in writing, message development, and communications project planning for the president. The incumbent will be responsible for researching, developing, and writing internal and external communications on behalf of the president, including speeches, talking points, presentations, select correspondence, and/or other material.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Internal contacts include administrators, faculty, students and staff of the department and University. External contacts include vendors, visitors and general public.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: * Work closely with the president and relevant subject matter experts or stakeholders to establish major message themes/topics; research and write speeches for public appearances and campus events; write and/or edit remarks from outside writers, when necessary; and proofread and fact-check to ensure that information is accurate.
* Research and draft correspondence, announcements, presentations, speeches, and other materials to support the communications priorities of the president.
* Work with the president, subject matter experts, communications leaders, and other stakeholders to gather and synthesize feedback and finalize drafts.
* Create and manage communications plans about specific efforts or initiatives for the president or the Board of Trustees that may include web content, email, speeches, promotional materials, or news.
* Collaborate with the Office of University Communications as appropriate to ensure plan success
* Assist the president in preparation for media interviews, videos and speeches.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
CORE COMPETENCIES: * Extensive communications experience with the ability to garner, prioritize and disseminate communications in a strategic manner.
* Strong writing and editing skills; must be proficient in many writing styles, including promotional writing.
* Must be proficient in AP Style Guide.
Bachelor s degree in English, journalism, communications, marketing or a closely related field, or related experience, education or training in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the job. Minimum of 5 years of experience.
NOTE: THIS POSITION DESCRIPTION SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED TO IMPLY THAT THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE THE EXCLUSIVE STANDARDS OF THE POSITION. INCUMBENTS WILL FOLLOW ANY OTHER INSTRUCTIONS, AND PERFORM ANY OTHER RELATED DUTIES, AS MAY BE REQUIRED. THE UNIVERSITY HAS THE RIGHT TO REVISE THIS POSITION DESCRIPTION AT ANY TIME. THIS POSITION DESCRIPTION IS NOT BE CONSTRUED AS A CONTRACT FOR EMPLOYMENT. Equal Employment Opportunity
The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex,sexual orientation,gender or gender identity, marital status, religion, disability or protected veterans status. Veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Inquiries regarding provisions for persons with disabilities or veterans status, Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX should be directed to the Office of Employee Relations and Equal Employment Opportunity at 202-806-1280.