Physical Therapist Intern
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 7/28/2020
END DATE 8/6/2020
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONDEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: Rehab - Outpatient
JOB LOCATION: Boston, MA
REQ ID: 35155BR
JOB SUMMARY: The Physical Therapist Intern performs examination, evaluation, diagnosis, prognosis intervention and discharge planning for the PT needs of patients who have potential for functional impairments, limitations and disabilities and are referred to physical therapy. The internship begins after graduation from a physical therapy education program, and the intern is supervised during the yearlong internship by a licensed physical therapist.
* Evaluate patients to include: determining appropriateness of referral, medical history review, examination, identifying diagnosis, prognosis and plan of care. Discuss findings with patients and establish plan of care in collaboration with patient, family supports and medical team as appropriate.
* Implement plan of care using therapeutic procedures, equipment devices, teaching interventions, and ongoing collaboration and referral to additional health care providers to achieve patient goals and optimize function.
* Review the plan of care and the patient's subjective or objective response to determine if goals and objective are being attained. Re-evaluate patient status, review the plan of care and make necessary modifications to the plan of care as necessary. Regularly updates of restates discharge plan.
* Manages a defined caseload and performs all administrative responsibilities including but not limited to data collection, and record keeping e.g. billing, QAI activities, attendance at department meetings and in services as required.
* Perform teaching responsibilities including but not limited to: teaching patients and families, preparing and presenting in-services, and educational lectures in and outside of the department and the medical center.
* Bachelor's degree required.
* Certificate 1 Basic Life Support required., and Physical Therapist License eligible at start of internship, Physical Therapist License required after 6 months.
* 0-1 years related work experience required.
* Graduate of accredited physical therapy education program.
* Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
* APTA membership.
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
AGE BASED COMPETENCIES:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth by the U.S. Department of Labor.