This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 10/9/2019
END DATE 3/26/2020
Cambia Health Solutions
Actuary Assistant I, II, or III DOE
Seattle, WA or Portland, OR
The Cambia Health Solutions Actuarial Division is responsible for proactively managing and retrospectively tracking and reporting on the financial and risk positions within the company and supporting the strategic goals of the corporation. Within that context, the Actuary Assistant performs technical, analytical, and support functions to help the division and the company meet its goals.
At Cambia, our values are fundamental to achieving our Cause of transforming the health care industry. They guide our actions and bring diverse perspectives together to improve the health care journey better for those we serve. All eight values are equally important and linked to the others: Empathy, Hope, Courage, Trust, Commitment, Innovation, Collaboration and Accountability. These values are not just words on paper - we live them every day.
RESPONSIBILITIES & REQUIREMENTS
* Provides actuarial support to any or all divisions of the organization.
* Effectively manages work and study time.
* Competent in Excel, Access, Word and SAS; good knowledge of Regence data.
* Provides technical peer review of established queries and data updates in spreadsheets and models.
* Creates new data queries.
* Drafts responses to customer questions.
* Prepares updates to sustainment work, e.g., rate filings, reserves.
* Reviews updates to sustainment documentation or memos.
Additional Functions for Actuary Assistant I:
* Participates in the Actuarial Credentialing Support Program with the intent of obtaining Associate in the Society of Actuaries and Membership in the American Academy of Actuaries credentials.
* Actively contributes to personal development plan.
* Develops documentation for new models or projects.
* Drafts memos summarizing analysis and recommendations.
* Makes recommendations to team leader regarding work results.
* Develops methodology for new projects.
* Completes technical peer review of ad hoc projects and new models.
* Follows team and department best practices for new work product.
Additional Functions for Actuary Assistant II:
* Actively manages personal development plan.
* Keeps boss informed regarding conflicting priorities and new work.
* Effectively responds to routine customer questions.
* Completes high-risk technical peer review for non-routine work.
* Completes medium risk reasonableness peer review.
* Actively contributes to workplan development.
* Leads sustainment work, e.g., rate filings, reserves, hospital contract renewals.
Additional Functions for Actuary Assistant III:
* Completes all levels of technical peer review and provides recommendations for reasonableness peer review.
* Develops workplans for sustainment projects.
* Effectively responds to non-routine customer questions.
* Effectively responds to routine regulator questions.
* Recommends changes to sustainment models, assumptions and/or methodology.
* Volunteers for department leadership opportunities.
* Trains junior team members on sustainment projects.
Actuary Assistant I
* Bachelor s degree in mathematics, actuarial science, statistics, economics, computer science or an equivalent related field and one year experience or equivalent combination of education and job-related experience.
* Keen analytical and problem-solving skills.
* Business sense (finance, accounting, economics, risk management).
* Solid oral and written communication skills.
* Strong computer skills (Excel, Word, Access and SAS).
* Well into the process of earning recognized actuarial credentials (ASA, MAAA).
* Ability to work independently.
* Proven ability to perform moderately difficult actuarial tasks.
* Demonstrated competency in performing all Actuarial Analyst Assistant II duties.
Actuary Assistant II
Same as above plus:
* Bachelor s degree in mathematics, actuarial science, statistics, economics, computer science or an equivalent related field and minimum 2 years experience or equivalent combination of education and job-related experience.
* Demonstrated competency in performing all Actuary Assistant I duties.
Actuary Assistant III
Same as above plus:
* Bachelor s degree in mathematics, actuarial science, statistics, economics, computer science or an equivalent related field and a minimum 3 years experience or equivalent combination of education and job-related experience.
* Member of the American Academy of Actuaries in good standing.
* Associate in the Society of Actuaries in good standing.
* Well developed business sense (finance, accounting, economics, risk management).
* Demonstrated competency in performing all Actuary Assistant II duties.
* Working knowledge of how an insurance company functions.
* Experience with project management preferred.
* Desire to obtain Fellowship in the Society of Actuaries preferred.
This is a multiple level position at pay levels 17, 18 or 19 depending on experience.
At Cambia, we advocate for transforming the health care system. You aren t satisfied with the status quo and neither are we. We're looking for individuals who are as passionate as we are about transforming the way people experience health care. We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. We are an equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug and tobacco-free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law. A drug screen and background check is required.
Cambia s portfolio of companies spans health care information technology and software development; retail health care; health insurance plans that carry the Blue Cross and Blue Shield brands; pharmacy benefit management; life, disability, dental, vision and other lines of protection; alternative solutions to health care access; and free-standing health and wellness solutions.
We have over a century of experience in developing and providing health solutions to serve our members. We had our beginnings in the logging communities of the Pacific Northwest as innovators in helping workers afford health care. That pioneering spirit has kept us at the forefront as we build new avenues to improve access to and quality of health care for the future.