Administrative Assistant I (Limited Term) - 8073 6/3/2020
University of California - Merced
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Hiring Range
Job Closing Date
Review of applications will occur as openings are available. This is a temporary employment pool. This position is reopened every six months so please re-apply if you remain interested in the position. This position will close on 12/31/2020.
About UC Merced
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system's 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With nearly 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. In 2018, UC Merced opened the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building located in the heart of Merced.
About the Job
Incumbents may participate in budget, grant, or contract preparation; administer and control departmental expenditures; maintain departmental personnel records and provide departmental personnel services; prepare reports and maintain pertinent files and other required records; provide business services such as purchasing, inventory and stores, facilities and space utilization; and provide general clerical as well as administrative assistance to departmental staff. Work is performed without close review; incumbent has independent responsibility for a small unit or comprehensive function requiring integration and coordination of a variety of information and administrative services. May lead lower level clerical staff and supervise student employees.
Independent responsibility for comprehensive function, which consists of all phases of a particular function start to finish. Incumbents independently initiate action, monitor the process, and follow through to completion or resolution.
* High School Diploma, General Equivalency Degree (GED), or High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) or equivalent, and two (2) years administrative/clerical work experience, or the equivalent years of work experience which have led to the development of the skills, knowledge, and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position is required.
* May have basic knowledge in administrative procedures including word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
* Requires basic verbal and written communication skills, active listening, and time management skills.
* Work is performed under supervision of a higher- level clerical or administrative person. Assignments are given in clerical terms. Duties involving standard methods are performed independently, with guidance provided as requested, and those involving nonstandard methods or materials are performed from specific instructions or guides.
* Guidelines include a variety of procedural rules and regulations which are detailed, directly applicable and readily available; but some judgment is required to select from among standard office methods or to devise working procedures for own desk. This requires knowledge of a variety of standard procedures, an understanding of the terminology of the unit served. And some familiarity with work done in related departments.
* Incumbents are responsible for accuracy, completeness and end products of work, and may assign and check the work of others.
* Within limited subject areas, assignments may entail steps or actions which vary in nature and sequence on the basis of each individual case: or they may be of a coordinating nature and composed of several cases/functions/subjects which must be integrated.
* Ability to apply knowledge of University policies is required.
* Capable of working in various environments on a constantly revolving basis.
* Excellent communication skills required.
* Ability to pass CatBuy training class to become authorized Purchaser for the University.
Background check and fingerprinting may be required.
How to Apply:
An online application is required for each position to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Smoke and Tobacco Free Policy:
The University of California, Merced is a smoke and tobacco free workplace. Information and the Smoke and Tobacco Free policy is available at http://smokefree.ucmerced.edu.
All employers who receive Federal contracts and grants are required to comply with E-Verify, an Internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically verifies employment eligibility by comparing information provided on the I-9 form to records in the DHS and SSA databases. Certain positions funded by federal contracts/subcontracts requires UC Merced to notify job applicants that an E-Verify check will be conducted and the successful candidate must pass the E-Verify check.
Pay, Benefits & Work Schedule:
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University of California visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/