Alloy Development Technican 8/1/2020
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Alcoa (NYSE: AA) is a global industry leader in bauxite, alumina and aluminum products, with a strong portfolio of value-added cast and rolled products and substantial energy assets. Alcoa is built on a foundation of strong values and operating excellence dating back nearly 130 years to the world-changing discovery that made aluminum an affordable and vital part of modern life. Since inventing the aluminum industry, and throughout our history, our talented Alcoans have followed on with breakthrough innovations and best practices that have led to efficiency, safety, sustainability and stronger communities wherever we operate.
The alloy development laboratory is a test area for breakthrough alloy technology. It involves operation and monitoring of casting and heat treatment processes; preparation, chemical and mechanical testing of sample; Data logging and reporting of test performances and sample performances. This testing area has a need for a detailed oriented person with a demonstrated knowledge of casting and heat treat special test configurations and related needs. The quantimeter laboratory is a corporate service that maintains global portfolio of equipment and ensure accuracy of our chemical analysis measurement via regular laboratory cross check programs.
The person in this role needs to be disciplined, accurate, organized and pro-active (for test planning, sample management, testing, data analysis and test plan adjustment). He or she needs to have good written and verbal communication skills (reports to engineers, managers of project and customers), have good data management and presentation skills, show ownership and responsibility for given assignments or areas, recognize issues and recommend actions to solve, and work well with others to get jobs done.
This position includes traveling for various test programs, conference (training and presentation) and program deployment.
MAJOR ACTIVITIES/KEY CHALLENGES
* Plan and execute test protocol to support alloy development program
* Perform melting treatment and casting of aluminum alloys
* Perform heat treatment ( solution heat treatment, quenching, aging) for various aluminum alloys
* Prepare samples for chemical, optical and mechanical testing
* Perform various testing activities where details and organization are key to successful experimentation
* Perform basic metallographic analysis
* Maintain details of data collection on key projects
* Report on operation and tests using spreadsheets, plots or data tables
* Conduct testing, inspections, and measurements on aluminum samples.
* Analyze data from test and recommend corrections to development program.
* Coordinate external testing when laboratory is not equipped to perform testing in house
* Perform quantimeter analysis, alloys check and equipment calibration.
* Manage inventory of critical spare parts for the fleet of equipment across our production plants
* Coordinate delivery of parts to plants for maintenance and repairs
* Assist in weekly meeting for development of test plans for alloy pre-selection
* Develop and maintain safe work instructions
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EDUCATION:
* Associates degree in science
* Bachelors in Engineering or some type of technical discipline preferred
* 2+ years of relevant work experience preferred
* Computer skills for equipment operation, data acquisition, data analysis
* Manual ability for various activities and operations (sawing, metal pouring, assembling testing rigs, etc.)
* Good organizational skills and attention to details
* Good communication skills and ability to train and work with others
* Experience with handling and working with molten metal preferred
* Experience with operation of heat treatment furnaces preferred
* Ability to adjust test plan and work procedures to adapt to project needs
* Machining capabilities or interest to develop such abilities for sample preparation
ALCOA ENCOURAGES APPLICATIONS FROM WOMEN, PEOPLE OF DIVERSE BACKGROUNDS AND THOSE WITH DIFFERENT SKILLS AND LIFE EXPERIENCES. ALCOA IS PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY WORKPLACE AND IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.