Assistant Superintendent II - PM 3/31/2019
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY At Graphic Packaging International (NYSE: GPK), we produce the box you may have poured your child's cereal from this morning, the microwaveable tray that heated your lunch, the paper cup that held your coffee throughout the day, and the carrier of those bottles of craft beer you may enjoy tonight! We're one of the largest manufacturers of paperboard and paper-based packaging for some of the world's most recognized brands of food, beverage, foodservice, household, personal care and pet care products. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, we are a team of collaborative, innovative, passionate individuals who are committed to providing consumer packaging that makes a world of difference.
With almost 18,000 employees working in more than 70 locations in North and South America, Europe and the Pacific Rim, we strive to be an environmentally responsible leader in our industry and in the communities where we operate. We are committed to workplace diversity and offer compensation and benefits programs that are among the industry's best to reward the talented people who make our company successful.
If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of, we'd love to hear from you. Learn more about us at www.graphicpkg.com.
Inspired Packaging. A World of Difference.
MISSION / SUMMARY:
The Assistant Paper Machine Superintendent will provide strategic and tactical leadership to achieve key operation objectives in safety, environmental compliance, reliability, production, quality, and cost. The successful candidate will focus on safely improving productivity and reducing costs through process/equipment optimization and operator knowledge/skill improvement. In addition, this position serves as coordinator and key communicator between the shift supervisors, operating crews and maintenance leadership to ensure that required equipment and tools are available for a successful operation.
JOB FUNCTIONS: Job functions include, but are not limited to the following:
* Leads workplace safety initiatives
* Manages performance of shift supervisors
* Promotes consistent adherence to operating standard work by auditing of shift leaders and operators on a daily basis.
* Serves as the coordinator and key communicator between the operating crews and maintenance leadership to ensure that equipment and tools needed for successful operation.
* Coordinates equipment shut down operations in order to maximize maintenance crew productivity.
* Reinforces operator standardized work system through weekly audits with directing coaching of operators and supervisors.
* Audits floor level countermeasure sheets on a daily basis to ensure proper follow-up on issues
* Coaches operators and shift supervisors
* Performs weekly audits of designated 5S areas with coaching of supervisors as required.
* Monitors paper machine key operating parameters on a daily basis
* Assists with or lead problem solving of runability and quality issues as required
* Serves as operations maintenance coordinator to ensure proper communication and coordination of maintenance issues between operations, maintenance, and reliability department.
* Responsible for communication of equipment shutdown, prep, and lockout requirement for maintenance activities and handoff to operation following completion of work.
* Manages reliability issues tracking system to facilitate, communicate, follow up, and accountability or paper machine reliability and maintenance needs.
* Works to support efforts and assist in managing maintenance cost for paper machine.
* Supports paper machine outages as needed.
* Other duties as assigned.
BACKGROUND / EXPERIENCE:
* Ten (10) years previous experience with paper machine operations.
* Five (5) years' experience as paper machine supervisor.
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
* SAP experience a plus.
* Continuous Improvement Agility - Improve Safety, Cost, Productivity, Quality & Morale
* Coachable - willingness to make changes daily as required
EDUCATION / KNOWLEDGE:
* Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Technical discipline; or equivalent experience
* Good interpersonal skills; ability to positively influence people
* Good organizational skills
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* Ability to motivate people to perform at higher levels
* Ability to demonstrate strong leadership and teamwork to ensure safe and efficient operations
* Ability to align with and champion company and mill policies and procedures
* General schedule is an 8-hour M-F assignment, however, employee must be willing to work alternate schedules occasionally; that may include early mornings, nights, and/or weekends and be punctual while doing so.
* Occasional overnight travel to include flying, driving, riding or by rail.
* Sitting or standing for extended periods up to 8-hours.
* Occasional Lifting up to 20 lbs.
* Reading computer screen or other electronic devices.
* Use of various office hand and electrical tools or equipment.
* Confined space entry of equipment and vessels during outages.
* Walking down all process areas and equipment.
* Integrity & Trust
* Action Oriented
* Customer Focus
* Managing & Measuring Work
* Priority Setting
* Drive for Results
* Timely Decision Making
* Problem Solving
* Functional/Technical Skills and Knowledge
GRAPHIC PACKAGING INTERNATIONAL, LLC. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their qualifications for the job in question. We do not base our employment decision on an employee's or applicant's race, color, sex, age, religion, natural origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, handicap, or disability, marital status, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.