Associate Director/Senior Manager, Program Office Finance 1/8/2020
Charles Stark Draper Laboratory
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OVERVIEW
Draper is an independent, nonprofit research and development company headquartered in Cambridge, MA. The 1,800 employees of Draper tackle important national challenges with a promise of delivering successful and usable solutions. From military defense and space exploration to biomedical engineering, lives often depend on the solutions we provide. Our multidisciplinary teams of engineers and scientists work in a collaborative environment that inspires the cross-fertilization of ideas necessary for true innovation. For more information about Draper, visit www.draper.com.
Our work is very important to us, but so is our life outside of work. Draper supports many programs to improve work-life balance including workplace flexibility, employee clubs ranging from photography to yoga, health and finance workshops, off site social events and discounts to local museums and cultural activities. If this specific job opportunity and the chance to work at a nationally renowned R&D innovation company appeals to you, apply now www.draper.com/careers.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Draper is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. We understand the value of diversity and its impact on a high-performance culture. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
Draper is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Draper's 40-member Finance organization, representing Accounting, Government Compliance/Cost Analysis, Financial Planning & Analysis and Treasury is trusted upon by senior leadership and U.S. government regulatory agencies to provide key strategic, financial and operational information that is critical to Draper's ongoing success.
The Associate Director/Senior Manager, Program Office Finance serves as a senior member of the financial leadership team at Draper, reporting to the Principal Director of Finance. He /she will be one of two liaisons between the central finance organization and the customer-focused program offices which generate and manage more than $600 million of revenue annually. The ADs/Senior Managers, Program Office Finance collaborate with program office administrative staff and leverage resources across Finance to achieve position objectives.
These are highly visible positions that play a key role in setting financial targets, measuring performance and anticipating, influencing and reporting on financial dynamics related to program office activities. This role requires an ability to think strategically and tactically as well as outstanding analytical, communication and leadership skills.
* Anticipate, influence and report on financial dynamics related to program office activities
* Build relationships with functional leaders across the organization. Collaborate with stakeholders to understand the business current state and develop data-driven insights that can drive organizational-wide goals and strategies
* Review and opine on customer proposals, in conjunction with Contracts and Programs:
* Evaluate contract types and review cost build-up assumptions for reasonableness and cost compliance
* Confirm net fees are within thresholds set by Sr. Management, or exceptions are approved
* Assist in setting appropriate labor rates on T&M contracts
* Identify and quantify contract risks and opportunities
* Approve payment terms and identify/mitigate any customer collectability issues
* Drive improved contract profitability and higher returns on CAPEX investments and business development costs
* Ensure cost accounting standards (CAS) and acquisition regulations (FAR, DFARS) are adhered to
* Ensure proper revenue recognition on contracts
* Enhance program office information provided for budgeting, forecasting and quarterly reporting
* Work with others across Draper to implement tools and technology to enhance automation and minimize manually intensive finance processes
* Create reporting and analytics to aid in improved predictability of operating results and cash flow requirements
* Perform other ad hoc analyses as required. Collect and analyze financial and operational data from disparate sources. Prepare well-developed analyses and presentations regarding various financial matters for key constituents or senior management
* At least 10 years of experience driving high performing finance organizations in a rigorous and complex environment
* MBA, CPA, or equivalent experience, strongly preferred
* Extensive financial modeling, consistent with finance and accounting fundamentals
* Strategic decision making capabilities
* Significant leadership and communication skills demonstrated through prior experience supporting senior executives, influencing key decision makers and mentoring junior staff
* Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers
* Demonstrated ability to initiate improvements in reporting systems and business processes
* US Citizen with the ability to obtain a US Secret Clearance