Automotive Technician, Fleet Services 8/19/2020
University of California - Riverside
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN, FLEET SERVICES
202008065481 Full Time 8AM - 5PM $52,701 - $78,279
UC Riverside's Fleet Services is recruiting for a full-time Automotive Technician. Fleet Services operates and maintains over 300 vehicles in its Long Term and Short Term rental program and also supports over 180 department-owned vehicles. Fleet Services directly supports academic field research units and education programs, provides resources for support service departments like Facilities Services, Dining, Housing, and Parking, and supplies vehicles, on-site fueling station, custom up-fitting, insurance processing, regulatory compliance, and repair services for the University. More information on Fleet Services can be found at transportation.ucr.edu/fleet.
The Fleet Services Automotive Technician is responsible for the efficient and safe repair of vehicles assigned to UCR. This includes the inspection and repair of vehicles, as well as the timely performance of scheduled maintenance. The Fleet Services Automotive Technician maintains a clean and safe shop, consults with the lead or other technicians, coordinates taking work off campus to outside vendors, and ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies such as the Department of Transportation (DOT) and Occupational Health and Safety (OSHA).
- Two years hands on experience in a vehicle maintenance shop environment performing a variety of duties repairing light and heavy-duty vehicles.
- Ability to work with limited oversight.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English using appropriate automotive vocabulary to obtain and explain procedures relating to automotive repairs, service and maintenance.
- Interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with other workers to include office staff ensuring clear and direct exchange of information.
- Ability to efficiently use a computer and related software, to include an automotive work order system (such as Agile FleetCommander), Outlook, and Microsoft Office suite.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of standard automotive tools and equipment used on automobiles.
- Knowledge and ability to safely handle hazardous materials typically found in an automotive repair yard, such as used oils, batteries, and auto shop chemicals.
- Ability to read and understand technical automotive manuals.
- Ability to read and interpret measurement and diagnostic equipment.
- Ability to write clear and concise diagnostic and maintenance reports.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations such as adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing.
- Ability to lift, carry, stack and move objects weighing 50 to 70 pounds.
- Ability to move about the Corporation Yard and campus to gather information, materials and authorizations.
- Ability to work under pressure with frequent interruptions and to meet deadlines by efficiently organizing, prioritizing and overlapping work, as well as using non-maintenance time wisely on job related work.
- Competency in providing good customer service and resolving problems with a pleasant and diplomatic demeanor.
- Ability to withstand exposure and possible skin contact to automotive chemicals, fluids and oils.
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certified.
- Working knowledge of automotive fuel systems.
- Thorough knowledge of department and University policies and procedures.
- Class B Commercial Drivers License.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
* UC Riverside was included in the (August 2018) edition of The Princeton Review's "The Best 382 Colleges."
* Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2017) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
* In 2016, UCR was recognized for graduation rate success by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU) for achieving near parity across racial-ethnic, socio-economic, and gender boundaries.
* UCR ranks among the Top 15 Public Research Universities in the nation, as identified by the 2017 Washington Monthly.
* In 2017, two separate reports from the Education Trust celebrated UCR as a national leader for African American and Latino student success. UCR was one of just three schools to be named top-performing institutions in both reports and the only California campus recognized among 18 top-performing colleges and universities in the nation for high black student graduation rates.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview
JOB DESCRIPTION DETAILS
View complete Job Description for this position