BI Specialist II - SSIS / Business Objects / OBIEE 11/16/2019
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary
The Business Intelligence (BI) Specialist II is responsible for supporting an enterprise wide business intelligence framework that will provide the organization with solutions for effective decision-making. This position requires critical thinking, attention to detail, and effective communication skills along with an ability to work collaboratively with teams and to consult with business area leads to generate solution recommendations. The BI Specialist II must be versatile and be able to communicate effectively in front of a group when providing training and education.
The position requires technical expertise in Business Intelligence architecture, design and implementation with experience in business, healthcare and technology projects. The incumbent will be actively involved in supporting, developing and advancing Houston Methodist s Business Intelligence applications. The BI Specialist II will use BI tools such as Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services, SAP Business Objects and Oracle OBIEE to pursue and implement innovative approaches to data collection, analysis, interpretation and presentation to support planning and decision-making at all levels of the organization and assist in managing data as a corporate strategic resource.
System and department specific ICARE values
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to the hospital s Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to Performance Evaluation.
1. Communicates (oral and written) effectively with customers, vendors, colleagues, and management about services, contact information, system availability, and information.
2. Acts as liaison between the business analyst and the technical team to facilitate technical and design specifications, set expectations and coordinate team members utilizing teamwork and collaborative skills.
3. Provides user education of business intelligence applications and helps ensure access to data with the goal of reduced reliance, over time, on technical specialists in order to obtain data.
4. Assists the business analyst to elicit requirements using various methods such as Agile and RAD design and document business case/scope/plan, business/functional requirements; including specifications for package solutions, and/or software development.
5. Provides training to team members through formal and informal methods.
1. Practices good time management, good assessment in professional decision making, and management reporting skills.
2. Helps minimize excess cost(s) by assisting and recommending solutions in achieving organizational objectives.
3. Provides problem resolution, technical analyses, costs and resource estimates, work plans, workflow documentation, and progress reports on assigned projects.
1. Maintains the quality and integrity of data collected for decision making and works with the other areas of the organization to ensure consistent reporting of information.
2. Demonstrates commitment to Houston Methodist values and goals to ensure all reported data and information are accurate, consistent, relevant and timely.
3. Performs required quality and profiling activities on the data to ensure information delivered from BI solutions is defect free and of high quality.
4. Assists the Project Manager to support all phases of project implementation.
5. Provides guidance to team members on the quality and effectiveness of their work product.
6. Participates in setting, monitoring, and meeting SLAs with key customers.
7. Performs detailed system test plan execution, provides issue tracking and consolidation. Manages a coordinated User Acceptance Test (UAT) effort
1. Designs and develops Business Intelligence solutions that support operational and strategic decision making.
2. Identifies required source system data and develops ETL processes that move data from source systems into the data warehouse and data marts.
3. Designs and develops the user access layer including the data model for the data
marts, Business Objects Universe, reports and dashboards.
4. Assists in the architecture, design and implementation of BI Solutions.
5. Participates in managing and resolving major system outages, disaster management and change control.
6. Installs, configures, and deploys BI tools.
7. Provides technical or on call support for BI applications.
1. Proposes solutions to facilitate constructive discussion within the team to arrive at the most optimal solution.
2. Uses internal and external resources to stay up to date with new BI technologies and trends.
3. Fosters an environment that encourages innovation, continuous improvement and growth.
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or related discipline with an information technology focus required.
3 - 5 years of experience in developing full life cycle BI / data warehousing solutions.
3 - 5 years experience using ETL tools preferably Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services.
3 - 5 years experience using BI tools, preferably Business Objects including Universe design, WEBI reporting and Xcelsius dashboard.
Strong knowledge of database technologies and data warehouse methodologies including data warehouse design and development.
Strong SQL server based SQL coding and database programming skills required.
Previous experience in a healthcare organization a plus.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Strong Decision Support / Business Intelligence / Data Warehousing systems & architecture experience in 'real world', practical, successful implementations.
Knowledge of ETL, Integration Technologies, Data Marts, Reporting Analytics
Ability to evaluate, prioritize and problem solve a variety and multiplicity of tasks and ensure their timely and accurate completion.
General knowledge of health care operations desired.
Excellent analytical, organization, prioritization and oral/written communication skills.
Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills at all management levels.
Understands BI tool architecture, functions, and features.
Understands SQL and relational and multi-dimensional database structures and schemas.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation s leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of 7 hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and six community hospitals throughout the greater