JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB TITLE: Bioinformatician
POSITION NUMBER: 2007-07443-BIO-1
POSITION LOCATION: Atlanta, GA, USA
ANTICIPATED START DATE: Two weeks after candidate identification
TRAVEL:As required to fulfill the responsibilities of the position
ASRT, Inc. provides scientific, information management, management consulting, bioinformatics, and administrative program support to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other Federal and private sector clients. The successful candidate will be a full-time employee of ASRT, Inc., and will be assigned to the Division of Bacterial Diseases (DBD), National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), located at 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA, to provide microbiological services to support Legionnaires' Disease.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Bioinformatician will develop NGS approaches to aid in solving Legionella outbreaks quickly, including implementing potential solutions for performing MinION NGS in the field. Technologies developed will also be applied to other agents, as applicable. The Bioinformatician should also be proficient with other NGS platforms as well as being able to analyze and manipulate any associated data generated from these technologies.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Perform NGS experiments, and research and development of techniques, procedures and algorithms for implementation of NGS workflows using the MinION and other platforms (i.e. Illumina instruments). The contractor will conduct real-time PCR and RT-PCR experiments for the research and development of robust, sensitive and specific biological assays to perform analysis of multiple parameters including primer/probe sequences, concentrations, enzyme kits, and other components as it applies to NGS. Optimize multiple parameters associated with NGS, real time PCR and RT-PCR, and report and recommend conditions for any primer/probe set, enzyme mixes, and any other useful components.
* Conduct a full range of studies on NGS platforms and optimize according to the instrument.
* Provide technical support and troubleshooting on pipelines and other tools provided to state and local public health partners
* Write code, or assist in writing code, for new or improved pipelines, as needed, to advance the mission of RDB.
* Analyze and troubleshoot any and all realized challenges, obstacles and problems associated with the R&D of the technology and experimental approach and its uses within CDC, and the field. Provide in-depth analysis of data and interpret trends, critical components, and identify any potential problems associated with design or execution of the test and the technology.
* Provide documentation on all aspects of performance of assays and developed technology.
* Provide R&D on new advanced technologies for the purposes of detecting nucleic acids, or other biological molecules.
* Compile, organize, and relay data to on-site POC.
* Prepare specimens and perform the sequencing runs
* Order reagents and consumables, as needed, to perform the assay.
* Prepare SOPs as instructed for all newly developed or modified procedures.
* Attend staff meetings when requested.
* Present data orally when requested and assist in providing hands-on training for biological procedures.
* Available to conduct on-site training workshops in NGS, sample processing, library prep, and any other associated tasks with NGS technology.
* Develop laboratory training documents.
* Monitor assay performance through external quality assessments and provides technical support and consultation to international partner laboratories as needed.
* Develop specialized molecular assays and reagents for respiratory agents for deployment to, and serves as a technical authority for, international and domestic partner laboratories.
* Perform supervised diagnostic tests on human clinical specimens to support outbreak investigations and etiologic/surveillance and disease burden studies, including those with environmental sources.
* Maintain meticulous electronic and paper records of laboratory activities.
* Examine new technologies for sequencing approaches, including target enrichment, agnostic capturing of nucleic acids, targeted amplification and sequencing and identification schemas for characterizing pathogenic microbes.
Education and Experience:
* Ph.D. in bioinformatics or a closely related field.
* 3-5 years of demonstrated experience with bioinformatics and bioinformatics analytical tools.
* Experience performing NGS experiments, and research and development of techniques, procedures and algorithms for implementation of NGS workflows using the MinION and other platforms (i.e. Illumina instruments).
* Experience conducting real-time PCR and RT-PCR experiments for the research and development of robust, sensitive and specific biological assays to perform analysis of multiple parameters.
* Strong interpersonal skills required for work in a multidisciplinary team environment and extensive interaction with people across CDC and external partners.
* Strong written and oral presentation skills.
* Experience with Microsoft Excel andWord.
* Immunizations may be required.
* The candidate must possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English
* Must be United States citizen or permanent resident or have authorization for employment in the United States
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
To apply for this position:
* If you are viewing this position on the ASRT Career Center, please click on the \\