Biomedical Electronics Technician IV 8/29/2019
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: BIDMC's Clinical Engineering team provides technical expertise, repairs and preventive maintenance of a large inventory of clinical equipment. The team also provides the management of contracted vendors to ensure out medical devices are serviced and ready for patients.
JOB LOCATION: Boston, MA
REQ ID: 31466BR
JOB SUMMARY: Tests and troubleshoots to component level, repairing, calibration, and preventive maintenance of all Direct and Indirect Patient-Care-Related electronic instrumentation / systems.
* Diagnoses, tests, troubleshoots to component level, repairs, and calibrates to manufacturer's specifications all types of electronic and electro-mechanical instrumentation. Works with and understands the operation of pertinent test equipment such as oscilloscopes, digital voltmeters, etc. Performs Networking/Programing of classic/PIICix Central Stations.
* Utilizes schematics, technical drawings, blueprints, wiring diagrams, and technical manuals. Conducts periodic and routine preventive maintenance inspections on any and all Direct and Indirect Patient-Care-Related electronic instrumentation / systems.
* Prepares and maintains records of repairs, inspections, and maintenance using both 'paper' and 'computer' systems. Coordinates/ assists in the installation of capital equipment purchases of Direct Patient-Care-Related electronic instrumentation / systems.
* Performs additional support tasks within the Department of Clinical Engineering (e.g. order parts, maintain service manuals, catalogs, mandatory training program, etc.). Interfaces (as required) with manufacturers on clinical and technical projects and problems. Maintains knowledge of advances in the electronics field and equipment changes within the hospital.
* Participates in the after-hours emergency service coverage (On Call) as required.
* Vocational or Technical training required. Associate's degree in Electronic Technology preferred.
* Certificate 1 Certified Biomed Equip Tech preferred.
* 5-8 years related work experience required.
* Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
* 5 years experience in the field of Biomedical or Clinical Engineering equipment service technologies in a hospital or healthcare environment
* Prior experience working and managing projects with Philips on the Patient Monitoring System including Installation of New Incoming Equipment, Bedside Monitoring, and Transport Monitoring
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
* Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Very Heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force continually. Employee is physically active in all elements of the job.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth by the U.S. Department of Labor.